Recent changes in international recycling regulations have impacted recycling markets here in Marin County and nationwide so here is a brief refresher on how recyclables are handled in our community.
Resource Haulers in Marin County handle recyclables with two different systems:
- “Single Stream” Recycling: Mill Valley Refuse, Bay Cities Refuse, Recology Sonoma Marin & Tamalpais Community Services District
- All recyclables go in the same bin EXCEPT if you are part of the Mill Valley Refuse Services Dual Stream Pilot Program.
- “Dual Stream” Recycling: Marin Sanitary Service (Fairfax, San Anselmo, San Rafael, Ross and Larkspur)
- Paper and cardboard go in the blue side while plastic, metal and glass go in the brown side.
Not sure who your resource hauler is? Just visit our Who Is My Hauler page and click on the name of your city or town.
Whether your resource hauler collects your recyclables in a single stream or dual stream system, here are some tips about preparing your materials for recycling:
- Quickly rinse your plastic, glass and metal bottles and cans before you recycle them.
- Clean aluminum foil can be rinsed and recycled.
- Pizza boxes can be recycled, as long as they are clean and free of food grease. If they are greasy, place them in your green compost cart.
Common items that seem recyclable but actually belong in the trash:
- Single use coffee cups and single use lids
- Plastic bags
We encourage you to contact your resource hauler for specific questions about recyclable items. Zero Waste Marin works with cities and towns throughout Marin County to help residents and businesses recycle and compost. Click HERE to download a PDF copy of this newsletter.